Monday, October 4, 2010

Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time... Isn't that how fairy tales start? We all were taught that as little girls. Around age 7, I was particularly mesmerize by Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. I am talking about the original one with Lesley Ann Warren as Cinderella. (My 20 year old daughter can't believe that "Brandy" wasn't the original Cinderella.) Anyway, that is where I was first introduced to the concept of a "Fairy Godmother". I watched in amazement as a pumpkin and 6 white mice turned into a beautiful horse and carriage. I knew all the words to the song "In My Own Little Corner" and sang it all the time. (OK, true confession, I still sing it.) Unfortunately, a good singing voice is NOT among my best attributes. But whether or not I could sing, dance or act, the one thing I knew was that everyone had a fairy godmother, and for some unknown reason, mine MUST be lost.

Now, I am a 40-something woman that has reached this point in life without even a glimpse of that fairy godmother. Everything I have accomplished, I have done on my own. Although I am still holding out hope that one day I will see the beautiful woman with her magic wand, I am prepared to take charge of directing where my life will go from here. My children are grown and in college. My marriage of 20 yrs has long been over. So now it is time for me to work on becoming "Karen" and not just someone's wife or someone's mother. I am sure there are many things I will learn along the way, and I plan to use this blog to record my discoveries as I search for my fairy godmother and for my own personal "Happily Ever After".

No comments:

Post a Comment