Friday, October 15, 2010

Jillian is my...uh, Hero?

I have spent a lifetime battling the bulge.  As a child, I was described as "pleasantly plump". Although, I clearly remember the sizes in the girls section of the Sears catalog were called "chubbie".  That has such a negative connotation.  After all, the boys sizes were "husky".  Somehow the label of a "husky boy" sounds better than a "chubbie girl".  As a teenager, I was in regular size clothes, just the upper end of the sizes.  It wasn't until I was married and had children that I officially crossed over into what is described as "women's" sizes.  Normal sizes for women are called "misses".  Can someone tell me what the difference is between women and misses?  Somehow "misses" sounds younger and more energetic, and "women" sounds older and more mature.  Hmm, still a negative connotation.  After trying diets and various other fads (I had Richard Simmons and Jane Fonda on speed dial), I gave in to the belief that I would spend my life as a "bigger" girl.  That is until I found 2 things...The Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels! 

Even though I had never watched the show, I thought The Biggest Loser was horrible because they voted someone out each week, and I know that people with weight issues also frequently have esteem problems too.  This just bothered me.  I don't know how I ended up seeing an episode, but once I did, I was hooked.  While watching the show, I became fixated on the  trainer Jillian Michaels and the methods she used to push people into weight loss.  I soon realized that she was the kind of trainer I needed.  She would break a person both physically and emotionally to get to the root of their weight (and esteem) problem.  Unfortunately, I am not a contestant on the show, nor can I have Jillian as my trainer.  So I have done the next best thing.  I belong to a local gym and have a set of Jillian's workouts.  When I watch the show, I try to take in the advice and education as if it was directed at me.  Good thing is, I can't get voted off.  During the last 2 seasons, I have successfully used the inspiration and exercise to lose a large amount of weight.  I am still far from my finish line, but I know I can get there.

With all of that said, life still has a way of throwing you a curve ball.  I have the pleasure (most of the time) of working with children.  If there is anything that can be said about children, it is that they call it like they see it and that they have no censors.  The other day at work, I met a 7 year old girl.  She came bouncing up, smiling and asked if I was going to be "working" with her.  I replied, "yes".  Then she proceeded to say, "OK.  You're Fat!".  I stood there for a moment waiting for her mother to say something to her about not being rude or about politeness, but she just stood there.  At that moment, I had to make a quick decision.  I wanted to tell the mother she should teach her daughter better, but instead I decided to reply to the daughter.  I leaned over and excitedly said to the girl, "Guess what."  She said, "What?".  I simply replied, "I know."  After that, the girl smiled and went to play.

This just goes to show me that I should never get comfortable with the progress I have made.  There is always more to strive for, whether it is in the battle of weight loss or just life in general.  When you stop trying to reach for new things and new goals, you stop living.  Life is about change and adapting to the changes.  Whether you make those changes good or bad, is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment